#58 - Juan Soto Traded / How to Construct a Roster
December 09, 2023
Off the Cup
In this episode, Hobbs and Hoppy discuss the San Diego Padres' 2023 season and offseason roster changes. They analyze the team's offense, pitching staff, and outfield situation. They also debate the role of managers and the possibility of an AI manager. The conversation covers potential options for first base, third base and outfield, as well as the need for more pitching. Overall, they express optimism for the Padres' future and the potential to build a winning team. The conversation covers potential trades and contracts, assessing players' performances, remaining moves for the Padres, the potential impact of Shohei Ohtani's signing, trade speculations, a rumored trade involving Toronto and San Diego, financial considerations for signing Shohei Ohtani, concerns about Shohei Ohtani's injury, and anticipation for future moves by AJ Preller.
- The Padres had a disappointing 2023 season, missing the playoffs despite having a talented roster.
- The team are making significant roster changes this offseason.
- The Padres' offense is strong, but they need to improve their pitching staff and bullpen.
- The outfield situation is uncertain, with potential trades and free agent signings being considered.
- The Padres are looking for options at first base and outfield, with potential moves and position changes being discussed.
- The team needs to focus on improving their pitching staff to compete at a higher level. The Padres are expected to make a big trade and sign one more free agent.
- The potential signing of Shohei Ohtani could impact the Padres' plans.
- There are concerns about giving Shohei Ohtani a large contract due to his injury history.
- Fans are excited about the upcoming moves by AJ Preller.